| This article is currently under construction, as we are |
improving all other articles, and the wiki, along with it.
This article is incomplete.
The Sony PlayStation 2 is part of the sixth generation of video game consoles. It was released in 2000, 15 months after the Dreamcast and a year before its other competitors, Microsoft's Xbox and the Nintendo GameCube. The PS2 is backwards-compatible with most, original PlayStation games. It has also been released as a media center configuration and also having, like its predecessor, a slimmer redesign. It is the most successful console in the world, having reached over 140 million units in sales as of July 20, 2008. On November 29, 2005, the PS2 became the fastest game console to reach 100 million units shipped, accomplishing the feat within 5 years and 9 months from its launch. This achievement occurred faster than its predecessor, the PlayStation, which took 9 years and 6 months since launch to reach the same benchmark.
PlayStation 2 Slimline
Released in 2004, four years after the launch of the original PlayStation 2, the PlayStation 2 Slimline was the first major redesign of the PlayStation 2. Unlike its predecessor, the Slimline was smaller, thinner, quieter and also included a built-in Ethernet port (in some markets it also has an integrated modem). In 2007, Sony began shipping a revision of the Slimline which was lighter than the original Slimline together with a lighter AC adaptor. In 2008, Sony released yet another revision of the Slimline which had an overhauled internal design incorporating the power supply into the console itself like the original PlayStation 2 resulting in a further reduced total weight of the console.
- Product code: SCPH-90001 CB
- Dimensions: Approx. 230x28x152 (mm)
- Weight: Approx. 720g
- Power source: 120 V AC, 60 Hz
- Power consumption: Approx. 35W
- Compatible format:
- PlayStation format CD-ROM.
- PlayStation 2 system format CD-ROM.
- PlayStation 2 system format DVD-ROM.
- Audio CD.
- DVD-RW (VR mode).
- 2 controller ports.
- 2 memory card slots.
- 2 USB connectors.
- 1 network connector (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T).
- 1 line connector (modem : RJ-11C).
- 1 DC in 8.5V connector.
- 1 AV multi out connector.
- 1 digital out (optical) connector.
- 1 infrared I/R receiver.
- ↑ Rick Aristotle Munarriz (February 15, 2007). "PS2 on fool.com". fool.com. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/02/15/date-xbox-marry-wii-kill-playstation.aspx. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- ↑ Gantayat, Anoop (2007-06-08). "PS2 Gets Lighter". IGN.com. http://PS2.ign.com/articles/802/802262p1.html. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- ↑ Sony Computer Entertainment. "PlayStation2 (SCPH-90000 SERIES) comes in a new design and in three color variations". Sony Computer Entertainment. http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071106ae.html. Retrieved March 25, 2010.
- ↑ System specs of the PlayStation 2 Slimline console